Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Devon's Cooking...Birthday Cannoli


Dave FINALLY turned 30 yesterday-- I've been the "old" one for far too long, so I was very excited to help him ring in a new decade yesterday! Unfortunately for Dave, he was very sick with a bad cold yesterday, but I still did my best to help him celebrate... his favorite-- donuts-- in bed (with Vitamin C-laden orange juice!) and then for dinner we had some amazing cheese from Venissimo, and then some great take-out Chinese from City Wok. Since I was off the hook from cooking all day, I did want to at least make the dessert for his birthday. This year I decided to do something a little differently... I remembered that Dave's favorite dessert is cannoli (you should have seen him in Taormina, Sicily, the home of the cannoli-- he was in heaven!!), and figured it wouldn't be too hard to make. I bought pre-made shells at Mona Lisa-- a great Italian market in Little Italy-- and made these about an hour before serving them. They were DELICIOUS if I do say so myself!

CHOCOLATE-CHIP CANNOLI
6 ready-made cannoli shells
12 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 oz. mini chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla extract
a few shakes of cinnamon

Mix all the ingredients (except for the shells) together and refrigerate for about one hour. Right before serving, pipe the ricotta mixture into the cannoli. If desired, melt about 2 oz. chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle chocolate on top (also, if desired, sift some powdered sugar on top). Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I just read the currie recipe. I guess you were scarred for life. Oh, well. I still like curried chicken salad.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete