Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Devon's Cooking...Chickpea and Brown Rice Veggie Burgers with Tomato Salad and Summer Vegetable Curry



Home, and settled at last (by "settled," I mean that I had a chance to unpack our suitcases and start a load of laundry), I decided to head up to Riverside to see the fam! I got to spend the day shopping with my Mom, hanging out with my sis-in-law, Sarah, and my gorgeous nephew Joshua, chillin' with my sister and playing with Gavin and Derek, and having dinner with my Mom and Dad before heading home to sleep in my own bed. Needless to say, after a day like that, following 3 weeks of traveling, I wasn't cooking Monday night.

But now that I'm over my lazy thing (see my Cheatin' Salad post below), I'm trying to get Dave and I a week of healthy eating (since we have Dave Camarillo's wedding coming up this weekend and then 5 days in Vancouver and Seattle the following week!). And for some reason, veggies and veg food just sounds amazing (this is what happens when "french fries" have become something of a food group for you). So both dinners I am making this week will be vegetarian. As a side note, save the leftover brown rice and chickpeas you have from the burger for the stew.

Since we've been on a burger kick (I mean seriously, have you noticed how many burger recipes are on here? What can I say-- they come in the perfect package! Remember, "french fries" is now a food group for me...), I decided to try out another vegetarian burger recipe. For the second half of the week, I used up all of our farmer's market fare to clear out our refrigerator... and the curry I made turned out pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.


CHICKPEA AND BROWN RICE VEGGIES BURGERS WITH TOMATO SALAD
Ingredients
BURGERS
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
3 Tbsp shredded carrots
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 medium green onion, finely diced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large egg white

TOMATO SALAD
1/2 cup cucumer, diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 Tbsp red onion, thinly slivered
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions: To make burgers, put chickpeas into food processor and process for about 30 seconds or until a coarse texture is reached. Add rice and pulse again to combine, about 10 more seconds. Spoon mixture into large bowl. Add bread crumbs, carrots, parsley, scallion, lemon zest, coriander, salt and pepper; mix to combine. Add egg white and mix to combine. Refrigerate about 10 minutes or up to overnight. To make the salad, combine ingredients in medium bown and set aside.

SUMMER VEGETABLE CURRY (no photo because it was sort of ugly and I sort of forgot!)
Ingredients:
1 large onion, finely chopped
crushed garlic (as much as you like)
1 piece ginger root (1 inch long), peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 lb. butternut squash, chopped
1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 lb. uncooked string beans, chopped
3.5 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 cup chickpeas

Directions: Sautee onion, garlic and ginger in the biggest saucepan you have, about 3-4 minutes until softened. Add curry and stir to combine; then add vegetables, canned tomatoes, broth and half of your parsley. Stir and heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Mix in brown rice and chickpeas (leftover from the burgers) then season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with remaining parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment