Friday, April 10, 2009

Devon's Cooking...Easter Desserts







Sadly, it's the last day of my Spring Break. I did, however, spend my day right... Dave will be thrilled (ha) to see that I'm still in my pajamas and still watching TLC (Jon & Kate plus 8, What Not to Wear... what more could I ask for?!?!). I did manage to do a little walking around since we are only going to be living downtown for another 9 days-- went to the new produce market, Market 23, I think, went to Albertsons, went to the library. I also managed to bake up 2 desserts for Easter (if you want some other great Easter desserts, check out Life As Mom. In honor of good health, I made one low-cal dessert and one not-so-low-cal dessert (though it's not too bad). Today' I'm baking Chocolate Diet-Coke Spring Cupcakes and Lemon-Glazed Butter Cake:

CHOCOLATE DIET-COKE SPRING CUPCAKES
Ingredients (this one is Eeeeasy!)
1 box cake mix (I used the reduced-sugar Devil's food cake)
10 oz. diet coke
1 canister of vanilla frosting
food coloring
jelly beans
(**and for the really health-conscious): fat-free Cool Whip

Preheat oven to 350. Mix cake mix and diet coke; spoon into 24 muffin liners; Bake 18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool before frosting. Separate frosting into 3 different bowls; put different colors of food coloring in each one to make Spring-y cupcakes; Frost. Put 2 jellybeans on each cupcake.
**and for the really health-conscious: mix fat-free Cool Whip with food coloring of your choice; frost cupcakes and put 2 jellybeans on each cupcake (each cupcake is 107 calories this way-- not too bad!)

LEMON-GLAZED BUTTER CAKE (this recipe is from Gourmet magazine-- I'm trying it out for the first time and will report back on its reception)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt, rounded
1/2 cup milk plus 1 Tbsp (the recipe called for whole milk; I used fat-free... we'll see if it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter (recipe said unsalted; I always use salted), softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs at room temp for 30 minutes
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 with rack in middle. Grease and flour and 8x2 cake pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In measuring cup, mix together milk, lemon zest and vanilla. In Kitchenaid mixer, beat together butter and sugar for about 2 minutes. Pour in 1/3 of flour mix, beat just until incorporated. Pour in 1/2 of milk mix, beat just until incorporated. Pour in 1/3 of flour mix, beat just until incorporated. Pour in 1/2 of milk mix, beat just until incorporated. Pour in 1/3 of flour mix, beat just until incorporated. Pour batter into cake pan and rap a couple of times on counter to pop any air bubbles. Bake until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean from middle (about 40-45 minutes in my oven). Cool in pan for 10 minutes. In the meantime, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Turn cake onto a cooling rate set over a cookie sheet then flip cake back over so that golden top is facing up. Brush top and side of cake with glaze and cool completely.

1 comment: