Monday, April 13, 2009

Devon's Cooking...Eggs Benedict


Admittedly, I'm running a day and a half behind on my blog... what can I say? We were at my mom and dad's house for Easter yesterday and I didn't have time to post the (patting myself on my back right now) delicious and healthy Eggs Benedict recipe I made for Dave and I yesterday. Eggs seemed fitting given the holiday! And luckily these eggs tasted and looked a heck of a lot better than the easter egg sugar cookies we decorated with my 5 and 3 year old nephews, Gavin and Derek, which looked like a scary explosion of primary colored frosting, jellybeans and, in an ever-so-Eastery fashion, chocolate sprinkles (see the attached picture; I forgot to take one of the Eggs Benedict, so you get Dave decorating cookies instead!).


HEALTHY AND MEATLESS EGGS BENEDICT AND ASPARAGUS

Ingredients:

2 Orowheat Double Fiber English Muffins
4 extra large eggs
4 slices Meatless Canadian Bacon (you can use regular Canadian Bacon-- Dave doesn't eat pork, so meatless was the best we could do!)
4 TBSP Hollandaise sauce (I bought a small can in the section where they have horseradish and other things like that-- the one I bought tasted pretty good and had 50 calories per 2 TBSP; you could also make your own or buy the Knorr mix, which I would've preferred but couldn't find)
1 bunch asparagus
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Instructions:

First, cook your asparagus-- you can either steam them or, as I like them best, preheat the oven to 450 and place on parchment paper-covered cookie sheet; spray with Pam, sprinkle salt and pepper on top and bake for about 15 minutes. After your asparagus is in the oven, bring 4 inches of water to boil in a large saucepan; once water begins boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and gently crack each of the 4 eggs into the simmering water to poach. Cook eggs for 4 minutes (if you want them more cooked, you can keep them in for 5 minutes instead). Gently remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain. Rinse out pan and heat up meatless Canadian Bacon in the pan for 2 minutes each side or so; in the meantime, toast your English muffins and heat up your Hollandaise in the microwave. To assemble, place one slice of meatless Canadian Bacon on each English Muffin half and then place one poached egg on each. Place asparagus on the side and drizzle Hollandaise over muffins and asparagus. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top and grind some fresh black pepper on top to taste. Enjoy-- we definitely did!

No comments:

Post a Comment