Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Devon's Cooking...Sweet Potato Burritos and Southwestern Sweet Potato and Chicken Stew (Crockpot)

I've been very MIA the last week because of our big move and because Dave's been out of town (Philly, Napa, Austin) and I've been out of town (Beantown for Slobo's bachelorette party), so I haven't been doing much cooking. In other words, I've been slacking a bit (though it was nice to enjoy some great Boston food and maybe a drink or two on the Bustonian).

The nights I have cooked, I've been a bit obsessed with sweet potatoes, for some reason, so last week, I made Sweet Potato Burritos, which were pretty amazing-- see the recipe below.

This week, I'm home alone-- Dave's in Austin until tomorrow-- and since it has been a bit gray and cold here (I know, I know... I live in San Diego. Quit my complainin'!) I decided to make a nice hearty stew tonight! I just finished a bowl and it tasted delicious, though it's not all that pretty!

We'll be in Phoenix this weekend celebrating Dan Byerly's wedding, and then finally (sort of) back to normal and back home after, so I should start making some really good food then!

Sweet Potato Burritos
Ingredients:
1/2 onion, diced
Garlic (as much as you like, but at least 2 cloves)
3 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1.5 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp yellow mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
6 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
4 oz. 2% shredded cheddar


Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Spray large skillet with Pam, sautee onion and garlic until soft. Add beans and mash everything together with a potato masher. Stir in water slowly and remove from heat. Stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne and soy sauce. Lay out tortillas and spoon 1/6 of the mashed sweet potato mixture, 1/6 of the bean mixture and 1/6 of the cheese into each tortilla. Roll up each burrito and place in glass baking dish and bake for 12 minutes.


Southwestern Sweet Potato and Chicken Stew
Ingredients:
3/4 lb. raw chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cubes
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion, diced
14 oz. diced tomatoes
14 oz. diced tomatoes with green chiles
14.5 oz. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1.5 cups frozen corn


Directions: Add all ingredients to Crockpot except for frozen corn. Cook on low for 6.5 hours. In last 30 minutes of cooking, add corn and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. Serve with whole wheat pita and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment